Wednesday, June 27, 2012

10 things I’ve learned about fashion blogging



It’s been nearly two years since I began my adventures with British Style Bloggers, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.  I’m going through a lot of exciting changes in my life right now, and with this in mind have been taking stock of all the cool things I am lucky enough to be involved in.  I could never have imagined that my love of putting an opinion out there could have led to a voluntary ‘career’ in fashion, and yet here I sit.  So, I thought I would mark the occasion by imparting some of the ‘wisdom’ I have acquired.  In no particular order, and with my tongue firmly in my cheek, here they are:

  • You can read as many fashion blogs and magazines as you like, but you’ll still be paralysed with clothes insecurity when Fashion Week comes around.
  • You dress each day like you’re ready to be shot for a street-style piece.  Even if if you’ve got nothing planned.  And if you let this slip, even for just one day, you’ll be paranoid that you’ll be exposed as a fraud.
  • In fact, you’re pretty much constantly convinced that you’re going to be exposed as some kind of sartorial fraud
  • People in ‘real life’ are always going to confusedly question why you choose to work as hard as you do at something for free…
  • …  But then be super-jealous when you mention your press pass for that awesome event.You’ll make it work, even if at times you haven’t got the time, the patience or the money.
  • Your first Fashion Week will be the most disorientating, tiring, confusing experience of your life, and subsequent ones don’t appear to get that much easier as you try and fit more and more in.
  • Working, virtual relationships become heartfelt, genuine friendships.
  • And finally, cheesy as it sounds, it’ll all be worth it.  Hard work and determination never go out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment